Monday 20 August 2007

The loss of a guiding light

Dear Sol,Theo and Tanja's family and
dear friends,

These were Tanja's words to me shortly
after she received news of her appointment
to Sydney Dance..
"I am in London now, and very excited and
all my nervous system is going bananas!
I can hardly grasp what this all means...
Now it all begins...
I definitely look forward to chatting with
you when I return,(on 20 June) and for
sure I look forward to nurturing an open
and supportive relationship!!"


Not knowing her as well as many of you
who have written about her I can still
say, without hesitation, that Tanja made
an incredible impression on me. I was lucky
enough to see her perform with DV8 in Paris,
bump into her and Sol in New York and
see and chat to them both just two weeks
ago at Lucy Guerin's opening night.
The positive strength of their partnership
was tangible.

We (myself and Force Majeure) were keenly
looking forward to the contribution she
was about to make to the Sydney arts scene.
As she said.....it was all about to begin.

It's simply incomprehensible that this has
happened, particularly to one as full of
promise and talent as Tanja.
My thoughts and sympathy are with you Sol
and Tanja's family and friends.
I have had a long conversation with Lloyd
Newson who is totally devastated by the
news as is Gabriel Castillo.
She will be sorely missed for a very long
time and a generation of dancers have
lost a guiding light.
I send our love and symapthy,
Kate Champion and Force Majeure

No comments: